In this guide, we will give you the tools to help get your Tier II Clearstory project set up with your Subcontractors.
Table of contents
- Tier II Project Requirements
- Instructions to Bidders & Subcontract verbiage
- Email Introduction to Subs Template
1. Tier II Project Requirements
A Tier II Clearstory project has the following requirements for Subcontractors:
- Require all Subcontractors to upload a PDF copy of each of the Change Order Requests to Clearstory's shared COR log.
- Require all Subcontractors to use Clearstory web and mobile app to create any project Time and Material Tags.
By doing this, you as the GC will have access to a complete up-to-date COR log from each Subcontractor and never have to deal with the headaches from paper Time and Material Tags. Simply log in and you will see a complete COR log and a complete T&M Log with every potential cost exposure. You can add review comments, have Subcontractors revise and resubmit things, and keep track of approvals.
2. Include Clearstory in your Instructions to Bidders and Subcontracts
Clearstory benefits subcontractors as well. Thus, once they learn about Clearstory they are typically happy to use it. However, it’s important to include contractual language in your sub-contracts so you can ensure Subcontractor adoption.
We recommend putting the ‘Example language’ in two locations:
*Please note this is not legal advice and you should consult your team before using.
- Instructions to Bidders: Before the job is bid you can insert this language giving the Subcontractors a heads up that Clearstory will be required.
- Subcontracts: Once a contract is awarded, carry this same language into the executed contract.
Example ITB & Subcontract Example Language:
"This project requires all subcontractors to utilize Clearstory to do the following:
1) For a project Change Order Request (COR) to be valid. a PDF copy must be uploaded to the [insert project name] project on Clearstory.
2) Any Time and Material Tags outside of the Clearstory platform will not be signed or acknowledged. For a Time & Material Tag to be valid, you must download the Clearstory mobile app or use the web application to create a digital Time and Material Tag.
Clearstory.com is a change order communication platform designed to help Subcontractors, General Contractors and Owners create, track, and share Change Order Requests and Time and Material Tags. You will receive an invite for [Insert Project Name] from [Company Name] via Clearstory. Do not create your own separate project in Clearstory. Further instruction will follow once the project is kicked off."
3. Email introduction to Subcontractors
We highly recommend sending an email introduction to your Subcontractors, prior to sending invites through the system. An introductory email will help explain what Clearstory is and most importantly why you are using it. Once Subcontractors understand the value to them, it makes subcontractor adoption much easier.
*Important: Make sure you update the sections that are noted with  with your specific project details.
Tier II Email Example:
Email Subject: [Insert Projects Name] Change Order and T&M Tag Submission and Review
In an effort to better track, review, and process your Change Order Requests (COR) we will be requiring a software solution called Clearstory.
Clearstory is no cost to subcontractors and will act as a digital change order log shared between our companies to create better transparency and eliminate relying on e-mail back & forth.
We will be requiring 2 items to be completed in Clearstory:
1) Any COR on this project must be uploaded to the project in Clearstory for it to be valid. Change Order Requests sent via email (outside of Clearstory) will not be reviewed.
2) Any Time and Material Tag for this project must be created using Clearstory's digital T&M Tags created via their mobile app or web application. Paper/carbon copy T&M tags will not be accepted or reviewed.
- Someone from each of your teams will receive an invite from Clearstory to join [project name] and give you instructions on how to quickly sign up. Whether you are an existing Clearstory user or new to the software, please do not create the project on your own as the invite to the project will be coming from our team.
- You'll be receiving an email from the Clearstory team with more information to sign up for the required training.
For more information you can visit www.clearstory.build
To finish the setup, navigate back to the General Contractor Playbook.